Monday, August 31, 2009

Down to the Wire

All right then, today is the end of the August and that means I've got one more month left in the country. Or as Noah says, four weeks. Apparently we're not counting that last week due to our hectic schedules. So there we are, four weeks.

I have to admit that August was a pretty dry month. I didn't write quite as much as I should have and I placated you all with media. I hope you didn't notice. This month, however, things will change. I will have to write something nearly everyday if I want to come away from this experience totally satisfied. That means some of you will get more emails from me. That's okay, I'm assuming you read these posts and that you won't mind the clutter.

I'll get started now.

Today was payday and nothing makes teachers more giddy and more tolerant than getting their monthly salary. Students aren't quite as loud, co-workers aren't quite as annoying and there's somewhat of a bounce to your step when you walk to the ATM. The first thing I spent my hard earned money on today was a massage. The ones I like run a little expensive, about 850 baht for an hour and a half for the full body oil. I can only do a couple a month and then I have to chill. But today it was nice to lay out and have someone erase my stresses away with hands trained at Buddhist temples. Nothin' like it.

Once I left the spa, my world slowed down considerably. I walked like a local. Usually, I walk at a break neck speed, angling around pedestrians, hopping off the sidewalk to avoid running into old ladies. This evening, however, I just strolled. I grabbed a bite to eat, met up with my friend Cindy and chatted with her over a cheese danish, and then shopped.

I'd like to say that I'm roughing it out here. It's far from the truth. Living in Bangkok has it's frustrations, but very rarely could I go to the spa in America, and eat, and shop, just because I could or had the money. I'm really going to miss this part of living out here.

Okay then, I'm going to prepare for bed and tomorrow, I will continue the week as best as I can. I've got four more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment