Monday, May 18, 2009

First Day:

I only had one student show up to class today.
Her name was Ponpom and she's super smart, very polite and sweet. But she was the only one. So I took her and joined another class of students. Next door, was Roger, the teacher from England who was handling ten rowdy girls. As soon as I walked through the door, I hear: "Do you have a boyfriend?" and the girls squealed, most of them shook their heads. Way to start a lesson.

Ponpom took a seat and I joined Roger at the front of the room. He whispered to me: "These girls were going to eat me alive, thank you for showing up when you did." I think he was overreacting though. The girls love him and were very engaged. Between the two of us, however, I think I was his straight guy. I kept the kids on track and made sure they finished their worksheets, while he made jokes and kept the kids entertained. Secretly, I wish I could have had my own class with more than one child, but maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

The students are great. There was only one boy and one lady-boy, the rest were girls of various looks and high pitched squeals. They are sooo loud. Especially one girl, who's the queen be of the room, she's got bangin' hair, red pumps, a coach bag, and lots of attitude. For fifteen, she's a quite a little lady.

My only student, Ponpom, is so studious that she doesn't like to take the thirty minute break like the rest of the students. Get this. . . she'd rather finish her worksheet. Can you believe that?! I asked her to my "little helper," but she refused, giggling behind her hands. She claimed that she was "too shy." That's okay, she's still pretty lovely.

I'm going to Lotus today. I'm going to buy a bike for about 50 US dollars, 1700 baht. I think I'm going to get some work shirts as well. I'm going to sign off now. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment