Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Third Day:

Disclaimer:

Those of you who have emailed updates of the blog, need to check the actual website, welcometomythaipad.blogspot.com, to see all of the pictures, videos, and old posts. If you're just reading straight from your email, you might be missin' o
ut.

In my adjustment to living in Bangkok, I went ahead and bought a bike at a local thai department store. It's red and shiny and has an awesome basket in the front. I have not named it yet, but I'm definitely up for suggestions. I rode to the 7-11 last night to get some more water and and some floss. Unfortunately, when I bought the bike, I forgot to ask them to raise the seat for me. It was clearly made for a shorter person. Lucky for me, my neighbor across the street, a really old man who can't speak a word of English helped me out. With a lot of pantomiming, we fixed the bike. Dammit, these people are so nice!

Today I did two loads of laundry in a fairly archaic machine. It was about two steps above a washing board and a ringer. Actually, the washing machine wasn't that bad, but I did have to ring the clothes by hand. Fingers are a little sore. I hung everything out to dry and luckily, it's so damn hot here, it only took an hour or so for things to get parched.


So my third day school was pretty good! This is the kind of stuff I wear to work, sans the bandana. After six years of college, I'd say that this is the most professional I've ever looked.

For the last couple of classes, I've walked in and shouted: "Hello!"
They laugh and shout back: "Helloooo!" We do this for about three minutes. Then we jump into vocabulary for greeting. Hellos, how are yous, I'm fines, and goodbyes. We then moved on to family and friends, that's when I showed them pictures of my family and friends. They were impressed with all of you Americans. Noah was a big hit. The girls and some of the lady-boys thought he was dreamy.

I let them out for a thirty twenty minute break and didn't see most of them until forty minutes later. They were getting iced coffees. *sigh.* And then we finished the class with a music game. The real school semester actually starts on Monday. I think I've got my feet a little wet and now I'm ready to sculpt minds

Here are some pictures of the kids:


No comments:

Post a Comment