Wednesday, June 3, 2009

On Wildlife

There are dogs, strays, that remind me of the homeless population of Thailand. You ignore them and they won't ask you of anything. They howl loudly when the ice cream man rolls by.

I saw a rat on Khao San Road. It made sense. The whole road is a fetid mess when the westerners head home.

There is a tiny gecko in my bathroom. It's not hurting anyone, but I'm about to take a shower soon and I want it gone!

Every once in a while, I see fat millipedes. They come out when it rains.

There's a cat that meows loudly, and it's sitting right near my bedroom window, on the roof. What's it's complaint? There are so many geckos for it eat!

I saw my first honey bee, in a really long time, a few days ago. It scared the hell out of me because I was under the impression that all bees all over the world were endangered. Just in America, I suppose. Unfortunately, I swatted at it and may have killed it. Hopefully there is more where that came from.

Well, that's it. It's a lot for a sheltered girl to deal with. My mother kept the doors and windows of our home shut all the time. So if we found so much as an ant on the wall, it meant infestation. That probably didn't prepare me for tropical living.

No comments:

Post a Comment