Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Packed the Fro and Took it to Bangkok















That's me writing this blog. In my fro. You all have seen it, no big deal. Here in Bangkok, even with their progressive fashion sense, it is a HUGE deal.

So Monday, I stepped out on the street in a gray pencil skirt, blue blouse and cream colored pumps. There was never a hotter English teacher in all of Thailand.

And the people knew it.

The Thai teachers were amazed. The kids were enthralled. The two sisters, who own the restaurant I go to, gave me a thumbs up! Of course, there were blank stares. Those I was expecting immediately.

"Teacha! Teacha!" screamed a group of girls.
"Yes?"
"You are BEAUTIFUL!" They all ran around, arms circled above their head, giggling like mad. There is the occasionally pointing and staring, there are giggles, but I say it all beats having to straighten my hair obsessively for the next four months.

I couldn't believe how big an issue hair would be before I came over here. To tell the truth I feel like I did very little to prepare for this trip, hair was probably the last thing on my mind. Friends and family did ask my what I would do about the it.

Leave it as is, I guess. I don't know.

However, when I got here, I chickened out. I wore it in a bun, a ponytail, and then I started to straighten it. A hot press job takes a good hour to complete on a good day. On a bad day, (going from an afro to straight locks) maybe two hours.

I don't have that kind of time! I can't possibly wake up earlier than I already do just to fry my hair! Only for it to frizz up in this wet and humid weather anyway. For that reason, there was no way I could keep it up.

Another reason was the enthusiasm my co-worker Ploy had for my straight do as opposed to other days. "Ahh Charish, your hair look beautiful! Wear it like that all the time, yeah?" Or whenever we had a meet and greet with school officials. "Look beautiful tomorrow, yeah?"

uh. . . no.

Never been too fond of people telling how to look. I broke down and combed it out. The first afro outside of the house was to a bar. At this particular bar, women, who I believe were prostitutes, swarmed me immediately. The "madam" asked me if it was real. Sure it was, who would willingly fake this? About ten hookers began patting my hair.
"Oooh. . . aaah!"

Interesting first.

Just today, the third day of the fro, a student asked if I got it at Khaosan Rd. I was puzzled. Got what? My hair? I tugged at it and told her. This is mine. I didn't get it anyhere. My student was amazed.
"You grow?"
I nodded.
"WOW!"

Yeah, well. The fro is not going anywhere. I think it's going to be a staple.

1 comment: