Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Thailand loves Badminton



I completely forgot that tonight was the night I agreed to play badminton with the teachers from school! Apparently I agreed to this a week or so ago. I ran home after school and picked out "sportswear." Shorts and a striped polo would do, a cleverly tied bandana, some cute shades, my sporty wristwatch. If I wasn't prepared to sweat, I at least looked cute.


And no, I was not prepared to sweat.

Things were going well at first, though. I started off batting around a birdie, no big deal. We're all havin' fun. But of course, when it comes to sports like this, it's easy to over do it. The Thai are a mellow group of people when it comes to badminton, but they're damned good. I don't know, it might be a national sport. But like I said, they keep it cool. My co-workers were not competitive, they didn't berate one another on an easy shot that was missed. It was all good natured fun. No one took score and no one kept track of who served.

If I were playing tennis with my friend Dani Fox at home, we would have sworn death on one another, then moved to making verbal assaults towards each other's mother, and then wrapped up the game with racquet throwing and accusations of cheating.

As I said, I was starting to overdo it. Within an hour, if you were to wring out my shirt, you'd get a full cup of sweat. My face was beet-red and it was evident that I was terribly out of shape. I can't wait to do it again on Thursday.




Ahh! I'm so red!

No comments:

Post a Comment